TMJ syndrome is a complex disorder that can affect the jaw joints, facial muscles, facial nerves and surrounding tissues. In some cases, TMJ can contribute to muscle pain and tension in other parts of the body as well. Scientists still don’t fully understand the causes of TMJ disorder, but there are many factors that may play a role. These include:
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Orthodontic problems (malocclusions)
- Bruxism (chronic teeth grinding)
- Trauma or other injury
What are the symptoms of TMJ?
Symptoms of TMJ disorder are also expansive and can take many forms. People with TMJ may experience any of the following problems:
- Chronic jaw pain
- Popping and clicking in one or more jaw joints
- Pain in the neck, shoulder, and upper back
- Grinding (bruxism) and clenching of teeth
- Limited jaw function, with or without pain (difficulty opening the mouth)
How is it treated?
Though treatment of TMJ syndrome is not recognized by the ADA as a dental specialty, many dentists do have experience and expertise treating patients with TMJ. These professionals often go by the name “TMJ dentist” or “TMJ specialist.” A TMJ dentist or TMJ specialist can customize a treatment plan that addresses your specific problems and eases your particular ailments. Our dentists have advanced training in TMJ disorder treatment. Some of these treatments may include:
- Facial and jaw pain evaluations
- Stress management and physical therapy
- Non-surgical and surgical management of pain
- A specially designed splint to reduce forces on the jaw and allow proper repositioning
- Medication to alleviate symptoms
- Correction of poor bite that is causing muscle hyperactivity
Treatment is most successful if started at an early stage. If left untreated, you may experience increased pain and damage over time. At Dental Partners of Vero Beach, we’re committed to helping you get that treatment; We will complete a very thorough TMJ exam and together we will find the most effective solution for you. Contact us today to learn how we can help alleviate your TMJ symptoms and schedule a consultation. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you reclaim comfort and relief from your TMJ pain.